Sunday, June 14, 2009

Lessons From Deb

(NOTE: The following is the eulogy I wrote for my sister-in-law who left us sooner than we expected, dying in her sleep. As you can probably guess from reading, the computer repair guy is my brother. They met when he would come to work on her company's computer. I share this because I think these lessons are key to our survival. After reading, call, text, email or hug your loved ones and let them know how much you love them. The clock is ticking.)


Lessons From Deb

The life path Deb planned was a difficult one, appearing to be uphill all the way. Yet she packed well for her journey. She passed along to me three tools for success, although she might not have realized she was doing so at the time.

1. Laugh often.
2. Love deeply.
3. If the computer repair guy is cute, make sure the system breaks down often.

Through the years we spent a lot of time laughing over the phone lines as we talked about life. I hear her laughter whenever I think of her, most often when I picture her saying "I told you so" about the length of her life. She saw the finish line a lot closer than I was willing to believe.

Deb loved with all her being. Love kept her moving forward when roadblocks appeared, and gave her the desire to succeed.

As for the computer repair guy, see lesson number two.

Deb's love and laughter helped carry me through some rough times and always reminded me what our purpose is in life. She lived the words of the Apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 13:7 ~

"Love bears up under anything and everything that comes, is ever ready to believe the best of every person, its hopes are fadeless under all circumstances, and it endures everything without weakening."

Love you, Deb.

No comments: